Sunday, January 30, 2011

J6 - Origami Tessellation +





I have debated with myself and friends over the legitimacy and practice of parametric design with "good" architecture. The technology and method is still primitive, in my opinion, but some great (looking) work has come out from it. On one side, I see the use of tools as purely experimental and superficial--powerful and visually compelling, but lacking in critical depth and ability to create a real human space. A very "cool, so what?" kind of architecture. (I also hate purely graphic but dysfunctional architecture for the same reason). Will the world really benefit on some crazy looking curvy space made on a massive budget and cut from a CNC machine? Not likely. Do I really want to feel like I'm moving through some sort of ribbed intestine? No thanks. Maybe that's expecting too much, but I am extremely against over-emphasized fluff getting a disproportionate amount of attention for something that could have well been generated overnight. But it's research, right?  

On another side, I see current parametric design as the beginning of learning how to design more efficiently, purposefully and with computer-aided geometry that is based on mathematics rather than arbitrary inputs. The single equation that can produce a surface or a space is something that is incredibly amazing, and we have already seen the consequential results in contemporary complex facade design. But this is not a new concept. The only difference is that now with faster computers and new software, we can calculate areas and material components with greater ease and dream up sculptural pieces that perhaps our own minds could not conceive of. Powerful? Yes. Still experimental? Absolutely.  

However, what I am more interested in learning about is the possibility of using non-static surfaces to environmental use such as expandable solar shading/panel design or creating wind channels for wind farms. Ron Resch has been experimenting with many different kinds of origami folding techniques and tessellating units together to create overall forms, not too far from the principles of current computer-aided parametric design. His work shows a greater possibility to parametric design to have kinetic structures with dual purposes rather than remain in one fixed configuration. The origami method inherently yields two forms: the unfolded, flat surface and the final folded configuration. With the right structure and mechanisms, we can simulate the contraction and expansion of a triangulated/unit-grid into several configurations and orientations to respond to environmental factors. A simple, small scale example could be retractable canopies, or venetian blinds. Pleating, folding, tessellation...fashion and architecture can really learn something from each other, don't you think? Issey and Hussein, want to help us out? Sounds simple enough, but for whatever reason it hasn't become a mass-producible element in architecture...

Fuck enclosures! I want to have poor seals and triangular windows with large gaskets and silicone strips for the rest of my life!!!! In the name of the future!!!

Some links: 

In other news...as shit always seems to happen to me all the time (do I bring this upon myself?), I have a good story to tell. This case makes me really, really love the TTC supervisor at Finch Station. I went to Bikram Yoga yesterday (Nazi yoga as Lily puts it...very true) and being completely out of it afterwards, I forgot that my keys and sunglasses were wrapped in my scarf. So as I proceeded to unwrap my scarf to put it on, the keys and sunglasses got launched sideways, hitting the side of the train and then falling on to the tracks (!!!!). At this point I was really thinking I was completely screwed. House keys, work keys, school keys...fuck.my.life. I was going to either jump on the tracks myself, or beg someone else to do it for me. But thankfully the supervisor at the station was so helpful that he came and made a few calls and went down there to grab them for me. If this was at any other station, I'd say those things were probably going to be long gone. I guess I got lucky this time...So, moral of this story is to never wrap important shit in your scarf because you will inevitably forget that you did that. Learn from my mistakes!

And with that, Happy rest of Sunday everyone.

1 comment:

  1. just wondering, how did you make these folds??

    ReplyDelete